Friday, January 08, 2010

I blame quilt market



Let me start by admitting that I'm really not a cook. It's not that I'm bad--I've never made anyone sick with my cooking (to the best of my knowledge), but it's just not my thing.
In my humble opinion, cooking takes too long, makes too big a mess, and the results are never adequately appreciated.

If you were to have corn muffins at my house, they'd have come from a mix.

Until today.

When Pam and I took our trip to Houston quilt market last fall and stopped in Fredericksburg, we ended up having lunch at Rather Sweet Bakery.

The name didn't ring a bell but as soon as we went inside, I realized I had heard of the place and the cookbook, but again, I'm not a cook.

What Pam and I ate there so enchanted me that I asked for the book for Christmas. A gift my husband was glad to provide!



First up? "Rather Rich Corn Muffins". What sold me on this recipe was the amount of butter and whipping cream it called for. That's right--3 cups of whipping cream, people!*



I will admit that shredded cardboard would taste good with enough dairy goodness thrown at it, so this seemed like a good recipe to start with.

I simply cannot express how amazing these muffins are. The smell, the texture, the TASTE (and the batter--believe me I licked off that beater).

There are a couple left if you want one--but they're going fast.



*I only had a pint of whipping cream so used milk for the rest of the liquid and that sure seemed to work.

16 Comments:

Blogger rachel griffith said...

*drool*
i have a weakness for sweet cornbread.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

I checked their web site and they have three cookbooks. Which one has the cornbread in it? I was raised on cornbread, it's a food group don't ya know. Adding whipping cream to it would be heaven. I have a gift card from Christmas from Borders so I may just have to go down there and snap one up.

Although, I'm like you. Cooking isn't my forte. I have lots of cookbooks in my kitchen but they are for staging. Makes people think I actually cook. I treat them as novels.

8:54 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

There's probably not one in the freezer for me is there?

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*thud!*

cornbread :-D)

9:28 AM  
Blogger karen @ badlandsquilts said...

on my, yummy looking!

10:16 AM  
Blogger strawberrycream39 said...

Yum! Corn muffins are my all-time fave muffin. Whipping cream must make them super delicious.

P.S. Love that quilt under the plate!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

Oh my! This looks like something I will LOVE! Yum! and Thanks!

10:25 PM  
Anonymous happy zombie said...

I'm doomed. I'm never gonna be able to reduce my width attributes if you flaunt and taunt me with OF ALL THINGS sweet cornbread - and in muffin form now less.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous barbara@quiltsoup.com said...

I feel EXACTLY the same way about cooking that you do but I think these muffins look pretty good. Are they on the weight watchers plan?

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh -- yum! There is something about quilting and food.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne Drury said...

First of all .... I SO agree with you on your cooking philosophy!

Second of all ..... YUM! (hopefully you wer shown some appreciation for THOSE !)

5:12 AM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

You might not be a "cook" but you put up a killer display!!! lolol

9:22 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

oh yummy! Are you going to share the recipe? Or what is the title of the cookbook? They look so good!!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Hey how about sharing the recipe. They look fabulous and I'm from the South so cornbread is a way of life here.

Pat

4:11 PM  
Blogger Busy Little Quilter said...

I agree with Miss Jean, cornbread is a food group especially if you grew up in the deep South as I did. Every night, after dinner, my dad would have cornbread and milk (he would put the cornbread in his glass of milk).

I've never heard of whipping cream in cornbread, but I'm sure it tastes great.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Sharrieboberry said...

I'm on the "Sweet Cornbread" Team! Gotta have it sweet, with lots of melted butter.

I love to cook. I do not like to clean up the mess. My family enjoys the recipes I make from the Pioneer Woman's website. There's a couple that aren't their favs but mostly, they really like them!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older